Moving To Engaged Philanthropy
Moving toward engaged philanthropy — whether through large steps or incrementally — requires planning. The Business of Good Foundation helps individuals, foundations, and companies increase their effectiveness in engaged philanthropy by developing fully functional partnerships with the organizations they respect and admire most.
Tailoring our work to meet your specific needs, the following types of assistance may be most helpful to aspiring engaged philanthropists:
- Assessing a philanthropic organization internally — based on interviews with the funder's leaders who will help identify interests, obstacles and other key issues.
- Assessing a philanthropic organization externally — based on interviews with former, existing or prospective partner charities — through which we will illuminate how grantees would like to work with the funder.
- Assessing prospective nonprofit partners for/with philanthropic organizations — using a comprehensive organizational assessment process developed by McKinsey & Co.
- Shaping a new or revised vision from the assessment findings into a more engaged philanthropic approach — based on mutually established expectations and milestones.
- Creating a decision-making process and communication strategy to restructure the funder/partner relationship as the engaged approach is rolled out.
- For start-up philanthropic organizations, providing legal support to identify organizational models compatible with the funder's vision.
- Establishing attainable goals and translating them into specific action plans paced appropriately for the funder's goals.
All of the aforementioned is designed to ensure that you as a funder meet your objectives, leverage resources to their greatest effect, and forge mutually beneficial relationships with your nonprofit partners.
If you are a current or aspiring engaged philanthropist, feel free to contact our founder, Tim McCarthy. Our experiences and consulting will be shared without expectations of any kind.